WATER FUTURES PROJECT, 2010-2012
Management Team, Palerang/Murray Darling Basin Water Sustainability Snapshot and Adaption Planning Project, Palerang Council, Australia.
- Wrote the Grant application on behalf of Palerang Council.
- Wrote three of the six reports (Climate Variability, Snapshot on Sustainability and Basin Strengthening Priorities) and co-wrote six fact sheets for the project.
- Coordinated the liaison between the Australian National University (ANU) and Palerang Council to provide state-of-the-art climate modelling and water resource research.
- Presented results to Palerang Council and Community Members.
- Led the Scenario Planning project component which demonstrated strong support for high government intervention to reduce unsustainable water use.
AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, 1997 to Present
Doctoral candidate, post-doctoral fellow, lecturer, researcher, deputy manager sustainability office, environmental risk manager, visiting fellow.
- Re-established, refined and managed the ANU contribution to the Molonglo Catchment Health Indicators Project, including monthly monitoring and reporting of three sites (SUL735, 745, 765).
- Manager award-winning $3m Green Precincts project, 2009-13.
- Coordinator of Green Fund Board, allocating up to $4m internal funds annually, 2011-13.
- Writer of fourteen successful award nominations, 2008-2013.
- Environmental report writer including Annual Environmental Management Plan Reports, 2009-13; Environmental Risk Reports, 1998-2013; statutory National Greenhouse and Energy and National Pollutant Inventory Reports, 2009-12.
- Blogger for “NoFunnyBusiness – Straight Talk About Science in Society, 2013-14
- Electricity and gas contracts negotiator, achieving savings of over $100,000 for contracts worth over $10m annually, 2011-12.
- Course Convener and Primary Trainer, ANU GreenSteps Course 2008-13, achieving multiple Student Evaluation of Learning and Teaching scores of 4.9 out of 5.
- Two national study tours driving around Australia interviewing sustainability practitioners, 1998, 2004.
- Various committee roles including Chair of Hazardous Waste Safety Committee 2010-13; Member Environmental Management Planning Committee 1997-2013; Chair Green Information Technology Coordinating Committee 2010-11.
PROTECTING THE ENDANGERED MACQUARIE PERCH PROJECT – 2006-2009
Project Coordinator, Threatened Species Network project, WWF-Australia. Focusing on the Mongarlowe River, NSW.
- Wrote the successful grant application on behalf of Rivercare Group Friends of Mongarlowe River.
- Arranged training for members involved in the project.
- Led a 5-day expedition down the full length of the river to map habitat values and threatening processes.
- Designed a kit delivered to all riparian landholders to assist in riparian zone management.
The bank job – 2012-2013
Participant in project to repair an eroded bank, identified in the Macquarie Perch Project as the single serious erosion problem on the Mongarlowe River.
- Assisted the grant application process.
- Participated in all project elements including reporting, public liaison, tree planting and more.
- Co-produced the project place story.
Australian department of the environment, carbon farming initiative methodology development program, 2012-present
Contracted Proponent Principal Researcher for Carbon Farming Initiative methodology for Passive Landfill Gas Drainage and Biofiltration.
- Writer of successful $150,000 project application.
- Writer of all project documents including literature review, project management plan and Draft Methodology.
- Leader of initiative to make this the first Carbon Farming Initiative methodology written in plain English (see Blog Writing plain English science into legislation; or Compost Eats Methane).
ANU Enterprise/ Australian Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry – 2009-12
Climate change specialist assessing FarmReady Training Courses for a program aiming to improve primary producer resilience to climate change.
- Reviewed over 400 courses for their consistency with program goals.
- Achieved a 2-day turnaround for over 90% of courses reviewed.
- Review committee panel member.
LAND & WATER AUSTRALIA 2003-2009
Post-doctoral researcher, principal researcher, program coordinator, program monitoring and evaluation.
- Led the monitoring and evaluation of the Social and Institutional Research Program.
- Managed a project to enhance natural resource management uptake by local governments around Australia, distributing tailored versions of the National Land and Water Resources Audit.
- Developed and then coordinated the Integrating Themes Program to promote integration between programs.
QUEENSLAND DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT 1994-1997
Local government liaison officer, implementing the ‘new’ Environmental Protection Act 1994.
- Assisted the design and delivery of the local government training course for the new Act.
- Coordinated Devolution Working Parties across Queensland to support policy implementation.
- Developed and updated Devolution Support Kit to ensure all stakeholders were kept up to date with regulatory and other developments.
Presented on the new Act and associated Environmental Protection Policies in the face of intense and ongoing community opposition, and was selected as a key speaker even when the Environment Minister, and various Mayors and other VIPs were present.