AUSTRALIAN DEPARTMENT OF THE ENVIRONMENT, CARBON FARMING INITIATIVE METHODOLOGY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM, 2012-present
Contracted Proponent Principal Researcher for Carbon Farming Initiative methodology for Passive Landfill Gas Drainage and Biofiltration. Leader of initiative to make this the first Carbon Farming Initiative methodology written in plain English (see Blog Writing plain English science into legislation; or Compost Eats Methane).
PALERANG WATER FUTURES PROJECT, 2010-2012
Management Team, Palerang/Murray Darling Basin Water Sustainability Snapshot and Adaption Planning Project, Palerang Council, Australia.
AUSTRALIAN NATIONAL UNIVERSITY, 1997 to Present
- Manager award-winning $3m Green Precincts project, 2009-13.
- Energy and carbon training project.
- Sustainability videos project.
- Coordinator of Green Fund Board, allocating up to $4m internal funds annually, 2011-13.
- Electricity and gas contracts negotiator, achieving savings of over $100,000 for contracts worth over $10m annually, 2011-12.
See case study on ANU Environmental Management Program.
PROTECTING THE ENDANGERED MACQUARIE PERCH PROJECT – 2006-2009
Project Coordinator, Threatened Species Network project, WWF-Australia. Focusing on the Mongarlowe River, NSW.
THE BANK JOB – 2012-2013
The project trained local riparian landholders in techniques for measuring and monitoring riparian zone management. It mapped habitat values and threatening processes along the whole length of the river. It developed information kits on how to manage riparian zones to conserve aquatic life and distributed the kits to every riparian landholder along the length of the river. The project won Third Prize in the 2009 NSW Landcare Awards.
See story in The Landcare Perspective.
THE BANK JOB
Participant in project to repair an eroded bank, identified in the Macquarie Perch Project as the single serious erosion problem on the Mongarlowe River.
ANU ENTERPRISE/AUSTRALIAN DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, FISHERIES AND FORESTRY, 2009-12
FARMREADY TRAINING PROGRAM ASSESSOR
Climate change specialist assessing FarmReady Training Courses for a program aiming to improve primary producer resilience to climate change.
LAND & WATER AUSTRALIA, 2003-2009
- Post-doctoral researcher, principal researcher, program coordinator, program monitoring and evaluation.
- Led the monitoring and evaluation of the Social and Institutional Research Program.
- Managed a project to enhance natural resource management uptake by local governments around Australia, distributing tailored versions of the National Land and Water Resources Audit.
- Developed and then coordinated the Integrating Themes Program to promote integration between programs.